photo him and her.png  photo faith.png  photo him and her.png  photo military life.png  photo homemaking.png  photo wanderlust.png  photo contact_2.png

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Dear Dave Ramsey,



Dear Dave Ramsey,
I hate your stickin' guts.
You make me vomit.
You're the scum between my toes.
Love, 
The Cummings

Haha just kidding, kind of.



Part of my personal journey through Scott & my engagement process was to take Financial Peace University through my church, a financial class by Dave Ramsey. It really was very informative, very well written, & Dave Ramsey tried to make it "entertaining". BUT, after taking the class and now married, I have found a tiny problem: We are a military family.

We don't fit the "cookie cutter" budget example through his book, we have to make HEAPS of changes. Just ask us last night, four hours and two budgets for every month later. One for the first two weeks of the month, and one for the last two weeks. They both change constantly due to Scott's training schedules, and future deployment schedule.
One word------CONFUSING! 

"A budget is telling your money where to go, instead of wondering where it went."

But we did it. Together. We completed it, we have a name for every dollar made. I will say after a night of constantly thinking of money and a budget, to dreaming about budgets, I woke up very refreshed and ready to take it on. Bring on the newlywed budget, the ever changing amount of money per week, the bi-weekly changes, the month changes, all of it. Why?! Because it is glorifying to our God {our spiritual duty is to take dominion over our money, not surrendering God's resources to the enemy} and it's making Scott & I closer {Agreeing on our value system, we have unity which is SO powerful}.   

So here is my real letter to Dave Ramsey:

Dear Dave Ramsey,
Thank you for having classes on this confusing matter.
Thank you for teaching to put God first: 
Give, save,& then pay bills.
Thanks for saying, "You must gain control over your money or the lack of it will forever control you."
Thank you for making a template.
Thank you for figuring out that there is a free spirit [Scott] & a nerd [Me!] in most marriages and how to overcome that.
Thank you for showing us how to live like no one else...
So later we can live like no one else.
So now I guess, thank you for the LONG hours last night, the dreams about budgeting, 
and for the budget that my husband & I know hold.
Love, 
Scott & Kassidi

"In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words of the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive'."
Acts 20:35

 photo blogsignature_zps20a5ba4e.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

}, 10);